To help us "creatives" do just that, the Hollywood Black Film Festival (HBFF) held its 2nd Annual Film Finance and Distribution Summit at the Writer's Bootcamp in Santa Monica. As an extension of the festivals goal to promote and support independent films and filmmakers, the summit gives filmmakers, "an opportunity to gather information and gain insights from an array of leading film financing and distribution professionals," says HBFF Founder and Executive Director, Tanya Kersey.
So what exactly was covered in this amazingly informative event? Here's a short list:
- Raising Money for Movies: Piecing Together the Financial Puzzle
- Packaging, Structuring, & Negotiating Step by Step
- The Five Most Common Film Finance/Distribution Scenarious
- What Are Buyers Looking For?
- Adrian Ward, VP Entertainment, Sports & Media Group, Israel Discout Bank of New York
- Steve Belser, Independent Financier
- Alexis Garcia, Agent, Independent Packaging Group, Endeavor Talent Agency
- John W. Cones, Esq.
- Stacey Parks, Founder of Film Specific, Insiders Guide To Independent Film Distribution
- Roger Bobb, Supervising Producer, Tyler Perry Studios
Darrell D. Miller, Esq., and Kibi Anderson, Relationship Manager, Broadway Federal Bank
Lita Richardson, Lita Richardson Entertainment
Cherisse Nesbit, Creative Executive, Lionsgate Films
Repeated often throughout the day by the experts was "Do The Research!". So to help you inspiring filmmakers out there start the process, below are some websites and books to check out that were mentioned by some of the panelists. Just click the highlighted names or urls.
John W. Cones Books
Insiders Guide To Independent Film Distribution
Independent Film & Television Alliance